Thursday, December 22, 2005

Rudolph the Brown-Noser Reindeer

Christmas music gets to me because it's so repetitive. Buy a CD of it and chances are it's the same 10 songs that are on every other CD of Christmas music.

Anyway, as I was listening to an old '40s singer croon her version of Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, it dawned on me how different those times were. Rudolph, with his weird nose, was the subject of unending teasing on the reindeer playground. But as soon as Santa picked him, "all of the reindeer loved him."

In today's elementary schools, when the teacher picks the nerd for a special project, it just adds another thing for his classmates to tease him about, saying he's a brown-noser, a teacher's pet, or a suck-up.

Perhaps reindeer are not as cruel as real kids...

2 Comments:

At 6:57 PM, December 27, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog was 3rd on google when searching for "jackal's cackle" but it has disappeared.

This makes steve sad.

 
At 12:05 PM, July 31, 2006, Blogger The Jackal said...

Well, sorry, Steve, but my creative juices have been only trickling for the last while, and so I haven't had any lengthy philosophical rants occur to me.

I shall try to become a ranter again, and I may create a secondary blog where I might post things that aren't in the vein of this blog. We shall see.

Oh, and a thought related to this post: maybe it's because in the good old days, teachers and elders engendered respect from children, so if they picked someone for a special project, that person became respected as well. In today's society, teachers and elders are more often reviled and/or made fun of (and certainly less respected), making it a very bad thing to be a teacher's pet.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home