Friday, December 09, 2005

The Tim Tam Slam

This exchange was on the Tim Tam talk page in the Wikipedia. (No offense to anyone reading here...)

AnnaAniston: Sorry, but do we need to put "(US: Cookie)" next to the word biscuit? I'm sure that our yankee cousins who have made it to the Tim Tam page might have an idea what a Tim Tam is, if not then the picture might assist, or if they're really stuck, they could click on the link to biscuit and figure it from there. I just can't believe that americans can be so dull as to need a separate language spelled out for them at every turn! (in playful exasperation!)

dmmaus: Agree. We don't need to go adding "(UK, Australia: Biscuit)" to every article where the word "cookie" appears. I imagine that would be stopped pretty quickly. Same thing here.

Me: OK, I agree (as the person who originally added the "(US: Cookie)" note to the article) that we should avoid unnecessary clutter, so I don't have a problem with removing that note. However, I have to, as a well-traveled American citizen who works in the travel industry, disagree with AnnaAniston's hypothesis that Americans can't "be so dull." Most Americans are VERY oblivious to the way things are done in other cultures and countries. In fact, I'm the only one at my place of business who knows how to dial internationally--no one else knows what the international access code is or what country codes, city codes and the like are. I have to make sure to note that an envelope will need foreign postage. I bet you none of them can name the countries with right-hand drive, and I can guarantee that none knows what GSM mobile service is and how SIM cards work or even that non-US countries usually call "cell phone" service "mobile." I could go on, but you get the picture. One would hope that Americans using the Wikipedia are of a slightly higher average intelligence and awareness than most, but, well, it goes on. As I mentioned to someone today while I was at work: "A smart customer? I think that's an oxymoron."

All right, now that I got that out of my system...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home