Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Thoughts on Customer Service

I have a habit of going off on long rants on random things. (In fact, I debated titling this blog "Random Musings from The Jackal," but "The Jackal's Cackle" sounded better.) Sometimes I post them in the discussion area of various Wikipedia entries. That's not really the place for it (although right now the readership potential is much higher there than here, since no one knows about this, yet), so I thought I'd cave in and start a blog, because I want comments. Lots of comments.

For my first post, I'll take the random rant I just posted on the discussion page of Wikipedia's Customer Service article and post it here (edited slightly to remove the original's irrelevant Wikipedia-ness). It's somewhat stream-of-conscious, but I rather like it that way. (I may edit it for coherency when I get a chance.) I welcome any and all comments.

--

What is the boundary between good customer service and unnecessarily "sucking up" to the customer and even "throwing money" at them? In my opinion, customer service consists of two parts: the attitude (friendly, helpful, knowledgeable, etc.) and the action (treating customers well, resolving disputes, etc.).

In my industry--rental cars--it is really easy for customers to be dissatisfied. Whether it's simple (and somewhat avoidable, although all put together it's nearly impossible to get everything 100% perfect 100% of the time) things like frozen windshield wipers, slightly dirty cars, or even the way the cars handle or large things that we have to do that can turn people off, like charging them for damage, their walk to the cars (my airport is HORRIBLY laid out, but we have no control over it), many people come back angry and claiming to never rent from us again. (Of course, all the other agencies do the exact same things we do...which may be why rental cars is consistently ranked among the lowest customer-friendly industries.)

Our franchise tries to offer the "attitude" part of customer service well--we try to staff our counters with friendly, outgoing, knowledgeable employees--but it's harder to find the balance with the "action" part of customer service.

Personally, I very much believe in the value of customer service. I believe that excellence in customer service will reward us in the long run with more profits due to repeat business and good referrals (although this is harder to do in a tourist-centric town like mine is, where people visit mostly once). I have a tendency--or so say many of my colleagues--to overcompensate customers for their complaints. (They say I'm too eager to "give away the farm.") If it were up to me, I'd try to make everybody happy. But realistically, there has to be SOME POINT at which you have to draw the line and say, "No more!" (Reminds me of the Dilbert comic where Dogbert is training managers: "Rule number one of customer service: The customer is always right. Rule number two: They must be punished for their arrogance!")

Let me try some concrete examples.

1. Someone comes in to us and complains that the car was dirty--they found an empty soda can in the back seat, and the back rugs weren't vacuumed. Our fault. They want compensation. What would be good customer service "in action"? Seems easy: perhaps a 5% discount. Or perhaps nothing, some argue--perhaps that's just one of those things that happens occasionally, and people shouldn't be so anal about it. I lean toward the former, but I can appreciate the management's point of view in that if we always handed back money for every little complaint, we'd eventually be broke and bankrupt.

2. Let's try a more difficult one. A customer returns the car after having to drag five suitcases through the snow through the 1/4 mile walk from the lot to the counter. Not our fault--we can't control where the airport puts us. They're angry and yelling, though. Should we give them a coupon for a free day? Everyone else says no. I waver. I know it's something we can't control, but I still feel bad for the customer having to suffer through it. Perhaps we could go to extreme measures and hire some more shuttle drivers to sit out in the lot and drive people up to the airport terminal where the cars are, but that could cost us close to $100,000 in wages, benefits, insurance, etc. for the four full-time shifts that would need to cover it. Can we afford that? No. Is that customer service in action? Yes. Is it worth it? That's a hard call.

3. How about when people claim they're never renting from us again because THEY crashed into the tree and crunched the front end of the car at a cost of $8,000 (after declining our "expensive" insurance). What is excellent customer service that exceeds the customer's expectations? Well, we can't just eat the $8000 because someone swore they were going to write the attorney general and tell everyone to never rent from us again.

4. I'm the only worker on premises. I can't leave the counter as I must be there to answer the telephone or wait to rent cars to anyone else who shows up. A customer who is disabled comes up to me. He says he cannot walk out to the car staging area (which, again, is 1/4 mile away). He tells me that I need to go out to the car and drive it closer for him. What do I do? I'd love to be of service, but I can't just leave the till for anyone to come in and steal. And of course someone else (a hurried businessperson, perhaps) is going to walk up and be miffed that I'm not there to immediately help them out. What to do in this situation?

These are the tough issues of customer service. It's easy to smile and point someone (or take them over) to the infant clothing section, but it's far harder to deal with dissatisfied customers who threaten to take their business elsewhere, whether it's your company's fault or not. What say you?

3 Comments:

At 10:21 AM, December 07, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It took me a moment to find you; there are others on this site that combine jackal and cackle in their blog titles...

Interesting thoughts on customer service. I would do badly in your position, I think. Dealing with upset people takes a lot out of me. (One unofficial Meyer's-Briggs discussion stated that, for folks of my type, prolonged conflict is "extremely destructive to their psyche.")

I shall watch this space and provide commentary and heckling as it is appropriate.

 
At 4:48 PM, December 28, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's what I would do in the scenarios you described:

(1) Take 5% off the next rental, so you strike some balance between the customer's need, and that of your company.
(2) The customer's probably angry because he didn't know (i.e. wasn't forewarned) that the return would be such a chore. So it is in a way the company's fault. I'd agree with you and give him a free day on the next rental.
(3) Say thank you and refer that to Legal
(4) Put a sign up "Helping a customer, back by 6:10PM", Lock up, get back soon as you can.
Clearly, there are systemic problems that your company ought to address (e.g. you shouldn't be working alone). Also, they should probably come up with guidelines to deal with the situations you face. I imagine they're quite common.
Here's a question that they might ask: WWED? (What would Enterprise do?)

 
At 6:15 PM, December 28, 2005, Blogger The Jackal said...

csreader,

Thanks for the comments. A couple of further thoughts based on yours:

1. That works. Some people, though, want more than 5%. After that point, I agree with management: you can't just hand out hundreds of dollars for little things.

2. The return lot is within 50 feet of the rental lot, so the customers *should* know how long the walk is. The airport does provide a shuttle from a well-marked hut, so it's the customer's choice to sludge through the snow if they don't want to wait for the bus. There's a small sliver of responsibility we as a company need to take (as I said before, we could go to extreme measures, but they're not feasible), but most of the responsibility has to go to the airport director's office. Can we really afford to pay for their bad management?

4. That's a good idea. I'll make a "Helping the customer--back in 10 minutes" sign."

I'll agree with you that we have some systemic problems to work on. There are lots of ways we could organize our business to run more efficiently (which involves having the owners/managers CHANGE, which is hard for them...) or to serve customers easier (which involves hiring more people, building more buildings, etc.). Staffing more people at the counter falls under the latter, and that's really not an option in an industry that operates so close to the bottom line and on days (like today) in which I literally have two reservations on an entire 10-hour shift. As it is now, they're paying me more money to sit here and blog than they're bringing in in rentals today (especially with $14 per day rates). Paying two of us during the wintertime? Not likely...and I wouldn't want them to, either.

Last, WWED--Gah! :-) No, seriously, we're good friends with most of the Enterprise folks out here at the airport, and we've learned a lot about their business practices. True, they are quick to try to "completely satisfy" their customers--but only if they squawk. I came up with a new phone greeting for the Enterprise folks: "Thaaaaank you for choosing Enterprise, the company that screws you over until you complain and then we try to kiss your [butt]." They laughed and thought it was more or less accurate...

(In case you're not familar with The Big Green E's normal greeting, it's: "Thaaaaank you for choosing Enterprise, the company that picks you up!")

One other note: there's an interesting thread re: car rental insurance and prices at http://www.bonairetalk.com/newsgroup/messages/32/184087.html?1100629296 . This is for Bonaire, which seems to be an island in the Netherland Antilles. A lot of the information presented there applies to rentals here, though--including Marc's point that CDW and other insurance sales can make or break the profitability of the business. Worth reading, if you're interested in rental insurance stuff...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home